2012年5月29日 星期二

Jeter passes Brett on hit list

OAKLAND — Hall of Famer George Brett was the fifth player passed this year by Derek Jeter on the all-time hit list yesterday.

Jeter opened yesterday’s 2-0 win over the A’s at the Coliseum with a single to left. That was Jeter’s 3,155th hit and moved him into 14th place on the all-time list. He started the game tied with Brett.

“I’m always kind of bummed out when guys pass you, because you had your own place in the records book for a while, and I had that one there for a while,’’ Brett said in a statement. “But a guy like Derek comes around and passes you, really, I think it all depends on the type of person that did it. I have the utmost respect for him.

Derek Jeter collected his 3,155th career hit, passing George Brett and moving into 15h place on the all-time list.

Derek Jeter collected his 3,155th career hit, passing George Brett and moving into 15h place on the all-time list.

“I’ve only met him one time, very briefly, but for a guy to play as long as he has in New York, and I’ve never heard one bad thing said about the guy.” He’s definitely a team player, he’s a clutch player. He’s been the backbone of this organization for a long, long time and when a guy like that passes you, I’d like to shake his hand and look him in the eye and say, ‘Congratulations.’ ’’

YANKEES BOX SCORE

Jeter started the season with 3,088 hits and has passed Dave Winfield, Tony Gwynn, Robin Yount, Paul Waner and Brett.

Cal Ripken Jr. is next at 3,184.

“With him being a shortstop, he is someone I looked up to,’’ Jeter said of Ripken. “That would be special.’’

Jeter, who went 1-for-5 in yesterday’s win, has 67 hits in 46 games and needs 29 to match Ripken. Provided he stays healthy, Jeter should easily move past Ripken.

Getting beyond Nap Lajoie, who is 12th with 3,252, is a possibility this year. Eddie Murray is 11th with 3,255. To match Willie Mays’ 3,283 (10th), Jeter needs 128 more hits.

Jeter says his focus is on winning games, not thinking about the names he has passed or the ones in front of him.

“It’s the farthest thing from my mind,’’ Jeter said. “It’s humbling to hear the names, all are Hall of Fame guys.’’

Jeter says he has met Brett but doesn’t know him.

“I have had respect for him from afar,’’ Jeter said. “He is a great player and I always had a lot of respect for George Brett. I am not thinking about it. I was aware of it a few days ago but we are playing to win games. I am not thinking about it.’’

george.king@nypost.com

Derek Jeter, George Brett ebook download, George Brett, Brett.Cal Ripken Jr.

Nypost.com

沒有留言:

張貼留言